The main and active ingredient in salvia divinorum leaves is known as Salvinorin A, this is the compound which perform wonders in salvia divinorum. The process of extracting Salvinorin A from salvia leaves is known as Salvinorin Extraction while the end product of this process is known as Salvia Extract. Traditionally, salvia leaves were always formed into a chewable quid which delivers a potent and lasting trip but its taste is not for the faint hearted. That’s where the concentrates come in, they are salvia standardized extracts. Salvinorin A is rapidly metabolized in the body, which implies that the full dose is ingested as quickly as possible. That’s why it is much easier to reach a full breakthrough with an extract, rather than with pure leaf or smoke.
There are several methods of making salvia extract. However, you can come up with good quality salvia extract that has a nice color or poor quality extract that looks like black gum. You can follow the below steps to ensure that you are able to have your home made salvia extract, although the extract takes several hours to be ready for use. But before you start extracting your salvia, you need dried leaves of Salvia Divinorum, a blender, saucepan that is large and clean, small narrow glass, pipette, and chemicals like naphtha and acetone.
When using this method without crushing your leaf up, or flattening it down into the bowl, you will probably need about 10 ml of acetone per gram of leaf. You may be able to use half has much solvent, or less, if it is crushed up enough to be in flattened layers, rather than in bunches of crinkled up leaf. Also, with this process you can use as much leaf as you want.
- Crush your whole (dried) leaf to a course consistency to reduce the amount of solvent needed. It doesn’t need to be powdered. The purpose of crushing is to reduce the volume, so that a small amount of solvent will cover the leaf. Whole leaf can be used if desired.
- Put your leaf in a stainless steel, ceramic, or glass dish and put it all in the refrigerator. It should be cooled down to as close to 35 degrees F. as is possible.
- Put your Acetone in the refrigerator as well. Again you are aiming for around 35 degree F. Please be very careful to properly label the acetone so no one mistakenly consumes it. This seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
- Soak the crushed leaf in the acetone that has been cooled down to 35 degrees F. Soak it for no more than two and a half minutes, stirring continuously. (Reducing this time further trade’s yield for purity. A 10-30 second soak may be ideal if crystalline Salvinorin is desired.)
- Quickly decant the now greenish solvent and set it aside. (If minimizing soak times, solvent may not be greenish, as fewer impurities are solvated. This is OK.) Add fresh cold Acetone and soak it for three more minutes, (or less, if desired for purity) stirring continuously. Quickly decant it and keep the two extractions separate, you can combine them later.
- Let the (now possibly greenish) Acetone sit for several hours to let impurities fall out of it. You will find some fine greenish brown sand-like material in the bottom of the container. Carefully pour out the Acetone, leaving the stuff on the bottom behind. Save this sand-like material for further extraction, just in case some of the Salvinorin was left behind.
- You can now either add all of the Acetone right back to some finely crushed leaf, or evaporate it completely out in a glass bowl to see what you got. If you choose to evaporate it out without adding it right back to leaf, you will likely see a crusty crystalline-like extract, green, but very potent! Using this formula on 30 grams of leaf you will likely extract about 250 mg of crude Salvinorin. As a general rule, the second soak will reduce the purity far below what a single soak can do, but it increases the efficiency so much that it might well be worth doing.
Don’t attempt to smoke this material as it is far too potent. Only evaporate it all of the way down to look at the quality of the extract! And then re-dissolve the extract into Acetone and use it to enhance leaf. If you extract 30 grams of leaf and add it back to 2.5 grams of leaf, your will have about 2.5 grams of 10X, considering inefficiencies. A moderate dose is about 50 mg of this 10X leaf. A strong dose of this leaf is about 100 mg.